There are known security vulnerabilities with Intel processors that are named “Spectre” and “Meltdown”. These vulnerabilities are documented at this link. There is a Windows based tool that can analyze the the system to determine if it is vulnerable to Spectre or Meltdown. This document describes how to use that tool to assess the vulnerability of the Vault. Information regarding specific BIOS updates to the different Vault platforms can be found from links on the product pages.
On a Windows computer,
- Browse to InSpectre homepage at https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm
- Scroll down to Download Button and download InSpectre application from this link.
- Verify that the file/application “InSpectre.exe” is downloaded to the Windows computer
- Run InSpectre (double-click) and verify the application pops up
InSpectre & Meltdown Vulnerability Status – Not Protected
- Verify that both Meltdown and Spectre vulnerabilites are protected.
If not, update the Vault to the appropriate BIOS that addresses the vulnerabilities. See the latest BIOS at this link.
- Update BIOS on the Vault
- Rerun the InSpectre application
- Verify vulnerabilities are protected
InSpectre & Meltdown Vulnerability Status – Protected
At this point the Vault should be protected from the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities. However, if there are any issues, feel free to reach out to us at: