Untangle NG Firewall is a network security application. The home web site is at https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/. Untangle NG version 14.1.2 has been successfully installed and deployed on the FW1, FW4, and FW6 series of the Vault.
Note: Please see the BIOS Compatibility at the bottom of this article before starting the installation.
Verify Hardware Recommendations
Before installing Untangle NG, verify that the Vault has been equipped with the appropriate hardware. See the hardware requirements as published by Untangle at https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Hardware_Requirements
Obtain the Installation Image and Uncompress it
The Untangle installation image can be downloaded from https://www.untangle.com/get-untangle/ . The same image can be used to install Untangle on any of the Vault platforms. It is important to choose the correct image type to install via USB on The Vault. As of the writing of this article, the latest version that has been tested with The Vault is version 14.1.2 of Untangle.
Image type: IMG (USB Image)
Burn the Installation Image to a USB Drive
The easiest way to transfer the installation image to a USB drive is by using software called “Rufus” on Windows or “balenaEtcher” on Mac OSX. See this link for detailed instructions on how to create a bootable USB drive using Rufus or balenaEtcher.
Note: If installing using a VGA monitor and USB keyboard on a Vault FW1x, FW2x, or FW4x, be sure to use a USB stick and a USB keyboard with a plug that is relatively skinny. The 2 USB ports on the Vault are very close to each other and if either the USB stick or the USB keyboard plug is too wide, you will not be able to plug both in at the same time, which will prevent you from doing the installation.
Install the Operating System on The Vault
- Verify The Vault is powered down
- Verify the monitor is connected
- Verify the USB keyboard is plugged in
- Connect the Vault to the network via the WAN port that is connected to a network with DHCP enabled
- Note: Untangle downloads files from the internet during installation
- Power on and verify the Vault boots to the USB
- Select “Graphical Install”
- Select “Language”, “Location”, and “Keyboard”
- Note: If the error “Failed to partition the selected disk” follow these steps:
- Click “Go Back”
- Verify “Partition disks” is selected. Click Continue
- Select “Guided – use entire disk”
- Select The Vaults SSD
- Follow the prompts on screen to continue the installation and initial configuration
- Verify Untangle is successfully installed
- Verify the Configuration starts
- When configuring Settings, in the Network Card table, note that the port named “External” with device “eth0” is the “WAN” port on the Vault. The port named “Internal” with device “eth1” is the “LAN” port on the Vault.
- The default for the External port IP Address is DHCP
- The default for the Internal port is static IP Address of 192.168.2.1 and is a DHCP server
- Verify the configuration completes successfully
- Select the default applications and verify that they are downloaded successfully
- Verify the Untangle NG firewall dashboard is displayed on the monitor or console used for the installation
- Verify that you can browse to 192.168.2.1 via the “Internal” or “LAN” port and login using the password assigned during the installation
For more information on Untangle, please refer to this https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng-firewall/ There is a video overview at the end of the page. Here is a link to their Wiki page for additional information at this https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/Performance_Guide.
At this point, Untangle should be up and running on The Vault. However, If you experience any issues, please feel free to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or find more information in our Knowledge Base.
|Vault||Untangle Version||BIOS - Legacy||BIOS - UEFI||BIOS - coreboot|
|FW1||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||N/A|
|FW2||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||N/A|
|FW2B||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||Tested|
|FW4A||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||N/A|
|FW4B||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||Tested|
|FW6A||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||Tested|
|FW6B||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||Tested|
|FW6C||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||Tested|
|FW6D||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||TBD|
|FW6E||16.2.0||Tested||To be tested||TBD|
|FW1||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||N/A|
|FW2||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||N/A|
|FW2B||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||Tested|
|FW4A||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||N/A|
|FW4B||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||Tested|
|FW6A||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||Tested|
|FW6B||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||Tested|
|FW6C||14.2.2||Tested||Not supported in this version||Tested|