ESXi is the VMware hypervisor for deploying multiple virtual machines on capable barebone hardware. This article describes how to install ESXi 6.7 on the Vault. The specific version used in this test is 6.7 Update 1. ESXi 6.7 has been successfully installed on all of the Vault platforms. The FW1, FW2 and FW4A require a workaround during installation. See the table at the bottom of this article for more details and a link to the workaround instructions. There is another article for previous versions of ESXi available at this link.
VMware recommends a minimum of 4 GB of RAM. Our test installation used 8 GB. Additional ESXi 6.7 Hardware Requirements can be found at this link.
Steps to install ESXi 6.0 on the FW6 Vault
- Verify that you have an account on VMware and permission to access the appropriate versions for download
- Download the ISO image from VMware (This test used VMware-VMvisor-Installer-6.7.0.update01-10302608.x86_64)
- Create a bootable USB with the ESXi image using Rufus or similar tool, see this link
- Install the USB into the Vault
- Connect the Vault to the network via the WAN port that is connected to a DHCP enabled switch
- Power on and verify the Vault boots to the USB
- Follow the on screen installation instructions
- When installation is complete, the Vault will reboot and the IP address will be displayed on the ESXi console
- To access the ESXi management console, browse to “http://<IP address>/ui” Example http://192.168.1.107/ui
- Login with User: root and Password:created during installation
- Verify the ESXi dashboard is displayed
At this point, ESXi 6.7 is up and running on the Vault. It must now be configured for the specific Virtual Machines as desired for deployment. As always, if you experience any issues, please feel free to reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The table below shows the compatibility of tested releases of ESXi and BIOS on each of the Vaults.
|Vault||ESXi Version||BIOS - Legacy||BIOS - UEFI||BIOS - coreboot|
|FW1||6.0, 6.5||Not supported||Not tested||N/A|
|FW2||6.0, 6.5||Not supported||Not tested||N/A|
|FW2B||6.0, 6.5||Not tested||Not tested||Not tested|
|FW4A||6.0, 6.5||Not supported||Not tested||N/A|
|FW4B||6.0, 6.5||Not tested||Not tested||Not tested|
|FW6A||6.0, 6.5||Previous article||Not Tested||N/A|
|FW6B||6.0, 6.5||Previous article||Not Tested||N/A|
|FW6C||6.0, 6.5||Previous article||Not Tested||N/A|