ESXi is the VMware hypervisor for deploying multiple virtual machines on capable barebone hardware. ESXi version 6.0.0 Update 2 and Update 3 have been successfully installed on the FW6 series of the Vault. ESXi does not appear compatible with other versions of the Vault. Further, Other versions of ESXi do not appear to recognize the Vault’s NIC ports, so if you wish to upgrade to a newer version of ESXi when using the FW6, then we recommend installing ESXi 6.0.0, then upgrading to the desired version.
VMware recommends a minimum of 4 GB of RAM, but our test installation used 8 GB. Here are the steps to install ESXi on the FW6 Vault. Please note that the Vault FW6 series is capable of up to 32GB of RAM.
Note: The Vault FW1, FW2, and FW4 Series are not compatible with ESXi and thus are not supported.
- Verify that you have an account on VMware and permission to access versions for download
- Download the ISO image from the VMware link
- Create a bootable USB with the ESXi image using Rufus or similar tool, see this link
- Install the USB into an FW6 series Vault
- Connect the Vault to the network via the WAN port that is connected to a DHCP enabled switch
- Power on and verify the Vault boots to the USB
- Follow the on screen installation instructions
- When installation is complete, the Vault will reboot and the IP address will be displayed on the ESXi console
- To access the ESXi management console, browse to “http://<IP address>/ui” Example http://192.168.1.107/ui
- Login with User: root and Password:created during installation
- Verify the ESXi dashboard is displayed